Adhesive stamps were introduced in Nova Scotia in September 1851, in denominations of 3d., 6d. and 1s.
They were recess-printed by Perkins Bacon in a diamond-format featuring the heraldic flowers of the United Kingdom and the mayflower of Nova Scotia, with the imperial crown in the centre.
A 1d. stamp, in a square format portraying Queen Victoria, was added to the series in 1853.